Today is my husband’s birthday. I rarely talk about him here because he is a pretty private guy and if he knew I was writing about him, he would want to be Editor-in-chief of this blog… Soooo not going to happen. But today is special, so I’m going for it.
Jonathan and I have been together over 5 years. We created this life together, this world, that belongs to just him and I (and our cat Snickers). It’s a safe place where we can just be. We’ve gone through A LOT of changes recently. We got married, moved across the country, and both started new jobs all in the last 9 months. Through it all, we’ve grown closer and even in moments when we both look at each other like we are speaking completely different languages, we somehow find our way back to each other.
I wake up every day grateful to be married to my very best friend. In celebration of him getting old, I have compiled a list of the top 5 things I have learned from Jonathan:
1. Don’t forget to look on the bright side: Yes, sometimes life sucks. But it never sucks completely. Even in bad times, look to the things that are going right. Most times the bright side can be found in the people in your life.
2. Plan ahead: Want to go on vacation? Want another cat? Want a baby? Fine. Plan for it. Literally open up Excel and input how much money you are making and how much you are spending. Your net worth will tell you a lot about what you are ready for, especially if it’s only a day trip to the beach and a gold fish…
3. Remember to kiss goodbye: Every morning he does this. He never forgets. It’s the best part of my day.
4. It’s okay to dance around your apartment while singing off-key in your pajamas: A good belly laugh is the best medicine. You’re never too old to be silly.
5. Setting boundaries is critical: Without them, people will walk all over you. When people cross your boundaries, be clear and intentional in resetting them. Habitual offenders do not deserve to be in your life, you don’t owe them anything. Love them from afar if you have to.
I will love you always Jonathan David Taylor. Happy Birthday!